FLOORING DESIGN SINGAPORE
Go through the flooring design of most houses and homes in Singapore, and you may be surprise to find homeowners are selecting a wider range of materials as their preferred flooring choice. This opens up more interior design options for the adventurous home owners.
Gone are the days when it's strictly wood or vinyl flooring for their natural coolness. Instead, with newer materials, designing a beautiful home has gotten more interesting over the years. And by consulting a flooring and laminate specialist, you can have a practical and aesthetically pleasing design solution for your home.
DCRS PREFERRED FLOORING SPECIALISTS
Read One of Our DCRS Flooring Articles
WHY WOOD–LOOK TILES ARE A PRACTICAL AND STYLISH ALTERNATIVE TO REAL TIMBER
Imitation has been known to be a form of flattery, but tiles have gone a step further. With the limitations of placing real timber around and about a home, wood-look tiles are growing to surpass the original with its practicality, while not displacing style.
Aspire for more within your living spaces with these hassle-free lookalikes- the installation of wood-look surroundings is increasingly accessible, unlocking realms towards more design possibilities.
EXPERT ADVICE ON WOOD-LOOK FLOORING
hot tips procured to fix the cover-conundrum
Embark on your journey towards new wood-look tile applications, especially with these handy titbits of advice to send you on your way. We tap the brains of the personnel behind Rice Fields and Hafary, accumulating these cannot-miss directives.
- Obtaining natural materials can prove to be extremely expensive. Tiles are substantially more affordable and akin to natural material like timber in terms of look, texture and species.
- Hafary retails their tiles per square feet, ranging from SGD 3.50/psf to SGD 15/psf.
how is it used ?
- Simply adorn your desired living spaces with these tiles. They are easily implemented by contractors and can be used from floor to wall, or on either space.
- A style hack would be to apply these tiles on kitchen backsplashes, allowing a classy, natural look.
Quality Italian tiles are known to be the most hardy and durable of the lot; selecting them avoids having to constantly replace them. Asian tiles tend to repeat prints and patterns, while Italian tiles are the opposite. Each tile features natural variations, leaving no two tiles alike- unique and one of a kind.
Homogeneous (porcelain) wood-look tiles are much tougher, as they are subjected to firing temperatures that exceed 100-degree centigrade. This ensures toughness, strength and water- tightness of the tile. These homogeneous tiles have very tiny open pores, disallowing water to seep through.
- Real timber wears and tears easily; timber tiles feature added durability, leaving them more resistant to the elements of the weather due to its manufacturing technology.
- Due to its water resistance, wood-look tiles can be used anywhere, including bathrooms, kitchens, balconies and outdoor spaces. They are also great for usage in public spaces and establishments, and even as part of the façades of homes and hotels.
- Advanced technology has left consumers spoilt for choice. There is an unlimited selection of colours, shades and choices- from warm to cool schemes, light to dark hues and aged to rugged finishes. Also, unlike natural materials, tiles come in many sizes, also available in large formats so that there are lesser visible grout lines, giving off a seamless appeal.
- Many natural habitats are destroyed in the process of cutting down numerous trees, whereas manufactured wood-look tiles are environmentally friendly.
maintenance and care
- For routine cleaning, wiping using a cloth doused with warm water or with specific commercial tile cleaners is adequate. Avoid acidic cleaners, as these may leave scratches or reduce the shine of tiles with glossier surfaces. After using tile cleaners, rinse thoroughly with clean warm water to remove leftover residue.
- Additional sanding or refinishing is unnecessary, as tiles are not susceptible to staining, nor do they receive etch marks easily.
- Regular dry mopping is necessary only once weekly, unless there is significantly heavier traffic in your tiled spaces. Remember to change the water frequently while mopping so as to avoid spreading unclean water on your surfaces. Always ensure that sand and dust are swept away gently before commencing on mopping.
- Textured tile surfaces may trap dirt in its deeper indentations. Mild scrubbing with a soft brush or an electric polish will be required more often as compared to less indented surfaces.
designing the living room
Reinterpreting its distinctive traits, Refin Trail transfers the visual and tactile sensation of warm, natural wood into porcelain stoneware. Elegant and balanced graphics were developed to create unique and suggestive atmospheres in living spaces, answering the needs of those who love the warmth of wood, only made immutable thanks to the excellent properties of porcelain stoneware. Enquire at Rice Fields.
From a chic contemporary feel to timeless elegance, the Venus Ceramica presents the classic Chevron pattern. An interesting play of both printed surface patterns and installation, homeowners are encouraged to explore various creative installation methods, achieving different decorative results. Enquire at Hafary.
Untreated wooden planks, following years of light exposure reveal unique, non-uniform veining caused by weathering. This provided the inspiration for the Ergon Woodtalk, a modern and hard-wearing incarnation, created from hi-tech porcelain stoneware. Enquire at Rice Fields.
Inspired by the principles of Scandinavian design, Mirage Allways is a new entry in wood-look flooring which sees the amalgamation of purity, minimalism and functionality. Great for kitchens as it is finished with a water glaze or planed effect. Enquire at Rice Fields.
Bring the outdoors into the kitchen with the Cotto d’Este’s Cadore range which lends a quaint and stylish vibe. The durable porcelain tiles when installed display varying hues of an aged timber and charming in its irregularity. Enquire at Hafary.
against the grain
Invoke the warmth sense of wood in the bathroom with Mirage Allways tiles. The wood-look flooring is finished with a water glaze effect. Choose a lighter palette for a clean and unfussy Scandi-chic vibes. Enquire at Rice Fields.
Characterised by natural veining and subtle shade-on-shade colour variations, Atlas Concorde’s Bord rustic shade is ideal for a hotel inspired bathroom. Its subtlety lends added aesthetic verve to its surroundings. Enquire at Hafary.
The Dolomites mountainous region of north-eastern Italy served as direct inspiration for Cotto d’Este’s Cadore range. Available in varying hues, these high-strength porcelain wood-looks capture the essence of the Dolomites, fusing the great outdoors with practicality. Produced with Microban® antibacterial technology for added security and peace of mind. Enquire at Hafary.
Want us to feature your home?
Got a new product launch?
Want to contribute a story?
DCRS celebrates a brimful of luscious textures and vibrant colours in raving designs, from sweet urban indulgence to the rustling bare essentials. DCRS – Decorations through its 22 years & over 100 issues of proven editorial philosophy of aspiration, realism and conceptual platform have been a success with the design savvy and well placed readers. Our vast readership drive has been the success factor to reach new home owners as well as avid readers. DCRS – Decorations is now available on both print and online platform. For a digital partnership, please contact us.
Boost your brand awareness and exposure through our digital and print media. Talk to us for ways to maximize your contents.